Life On The Farm As The Years Fly Bye

We All Learn At a Different Pace

What did I learn about myself through my 4-H participation?

I learned that it is not easy to be 16 and on the edge of adulthood.

Head - to clear thinking, when giving your word to someone, think about how it will affect your heart if you buckle to peer pressure and go against your morals and ethics .

Heart - to greater loyalty; loyalty is something that is given freely and cannot be demanded or forced upon someone.

Hands - to larger service, you can only do what you feel is right and work hard to achieve your goals.

Health - to better living; if your word is your honor, and you stand fast to your morals and ethics; loyalty will come to you freely, your goals will be realized, and you will make a difference in the world around you.


I love 4-H !


Peer pressure is one of the hardest things we face; stay true to yourself no matter how hard it is and make a difference!

4H My Journey

Farmer's Hands Video

2011-2012 Western National Roundup

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Show Stick

Now is the time for your steers to meet the show stick. The way that I do this is while I have them tied up and they are eating. I let them see the stick, and smell the stick. I rub their brisket first and them their belly and last I just touch their feet. Start slow and for a short time Just a few minutes; then let them finish eating. Later in the afternoon I go back out and lead them around and use the stick a little more and try to set them up, now just do this each time you work with your calves.

Your goal is to stay calm, keep your cool, and just keep working with your calves and before you know it the touching, leading and setting up will all come together. You are trying to form a bond, gain you steer trust and built your own confidence.

When this all happens you and your steer will become a team.

I know that everyone has there own way to do this. This is just what works for me.