Life On The Farm As The Years Fly Bye

We All Learn At a Different Pace

What did I learn about myself through my 4-H participation?

I learned that it is not easy to be 16 and on the edge of adulthood.

Head - to clear thinking, when giving your word to someone, think about how it will affect your heart if you buckle to peer pressure and go against your morals and ethics .

Heart - to greater loyalty; loyalty is something that is given freely and cannot be demanded or forced upon someone.

Hands - to larger service, you can only do what you feel is right and work hard to achieve your goals.

Health - to better living; if your word is your honor, and you stand fast to your morals and ethics; loyalty will come to you freely, your goals will be realized, and you will make a difference in the world around you.


I love 4-H !


Peer pressure is one of the hardest things we face; stay true to yourself no matter how hard it is and make a difference!

4H My Journey

Farmer's Hands Video

2011-2012 Western National Roundup

Monday, March 29, 2010

Swine Judging Work Shop and Judging Contest


The Swine Judging Workshop and Contest was held on  March 27 at the  Minidoka County Fairgrounds. Sign-in was at 9a.m.

Before I could even leave home I had to feed and water my steers and horses; so I had to get up really early, for it was a 1 1/2 hour drive to Minidoka. There was a team from Idaho Falls that had to get up even earlier than I did.

The workshop started at 10a.m. for me it was all new; I have never been to a swine work shop and had NO knowledge of swine, not a clue to  what they even eat.

The workshop and judging contest lasted all day. There was so much to learn. I now look at Pigs - Swine different; Their not just ham or bacon any more.

Did you know? That pigs can not sweat (perspire) to cool off. (I didn't) Because a pigs skin is so thick and they are insulated by a layer of fat, the pig must cool itself by lying in water or mud. Just a little FYI !

Back to the Workshop;
We learned how to fill out the judging card, how to take notes, and what to look for when judging swine. All of this before lunch.
After lunch we learned Terms and Transition, Muscle and Preformance, Volume and Trimness, Structure and Balance and how to format oral reasons.

--We also had guess speaker Scott Nash.






                              
  And guest speaker Tim Hooper                                     
from the Idaho Jr. Show Pig Association




Here are a few pictures of the events of the day
 






Well My brain is so full of information; guess I will take a break from thinking and let it soak in for a bit.
Stay cool and keep it natural.
And don't forget to sign my guest book.