Life On The Farm As The Years Fly Bye

We All Learn At a Different Pace

What did I learn about myself through my 4-H participation?

I learned that it is not easy to be 16 and on the edge of adulthood.

Head - to clear thinking, when giving your word to someone, think about how it will affect your heart if you buckle to peer pressure and go against your morals and ethics .

Heart - to greater loyalty; loyalty is something that is given freely and cannot be demanded or forced upon someone.

Hands - to larger service, you can only do what you feel is right and work hard to achieve your goals.

Health - to better living; if your word is your honor, and you stand fast to your morals and ethics; loyalty will come to you freely, your goals will be realized, and you will make a difference in the world around you.


I love 4-H !


Peer pressure is one of the hardest things we face; stay true to yourself no matter how hard it is and make a difference!

4H My Journey

Farmer's Hands Video

2011-2012 Western National Roundup

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Getting Ready for My 2010 4-H Market Beef Project

   This is the time of the year when I start to get ready for my new Steers. Before I can bring them home I must clean and repair the calf pens. When Cleaning my pens I remove all old poop clear down to the dirt; I like my steer to start the winter with a very clean pen.
   Last year was really cold and it snowed a lot. I was not quite ready for all that snow and had my hay stacked a long ways away from my calf pens. This year I have my hay right next to the pens to make it easier for me if it snows a lot this year. I also helped my Dad put tarps on all our hay to keep it dry so that we do not loose a lot of hay to mold.  I also helped my dad redo my calf pens and make them a little larger to give my steers more room this winter. 
   Next I check all the water hoses and place straw around our frost free water facet so if we have a lot of wind it won't freeze it up; this is just to be on the safe side.
   I have cleaned and repaired pens, good dry hay, I have winterized our frost free water facet and check all my hoses.

   I also make sure that I have a bloat kit on hand,  and set out mineral blocks.  
   Our horses are not a 4-H project; but I also helped  clean and ready them for winter. We stocked up on grain and gave them a mineral salt block.
   Well I think I am ready to go and pick my steers. I am sure my Dad will find something I forgot, just because that what Dad's do.
   I have already talked to the cattle producer that I get my steers from; Mr. Vos from the Clover Creek Ranch will call me when the calves are ready.
   Now the hard part; I wait for the call.